Niklas’s main area of expertise is with Assistive Technology. As a blind person, he has first-hand knowledge of how to integrate accommodative technology into the work environment as well as at home. He studied Mathmatics and Sciences at Paul Säveskolan in his native Sweden. He received additional IT training at York University in Toronto, Ontario.
He has worked at IBM Canada as a technical support specialist and at Royal Bank of Canada as a Client Effectiveness Coach. He also worked as a private contractor in Canada, providing website developers with assessments and guidance in making their sites accessible to those with disabilities. Most recently, he was a Technology Specialist at Oregon Commission for the Blind, where he worked directly with individuals and employers, helping them to make jobs and home life accessible without the use of vision.
Specific Applicable Skills Include:
- Certified in JAWS/Windows applications (JAWS is voice output software that allows blind people to access the computer.)
- Window-Eyes (another voice output application that is widely used)
- Mac Voiceover applications (Voice output access for Apple products
- Zoomtext and magnification software
- Mobile device assistive technology applications including voiceover, GPS, and other assistive tech applications
- Scanning and optical character recognition applications
- Refreshable Braille devices and displays
- Braille printers and applicable software
- Excellent Orientation and Mobility skills including white cane and guide dog use. Two-time graduate of Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind (Smithtown, NY).
- 5 years teaching and training experience with adults
- Extensive network of contacts in the disability services community.
- Familiarity with the laws and policies of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and other applicable laws governing disability civil rights.
- Over ten years experience working in the corporate realm and working with employers on making their businesses accessible.
- Over ten years experience in customer service.
- 30 years living as a successful blind person independently, including life skills such as menu planning and cooking, household management, bill paying, child care and travel by public transportation.
- Has traveled the world independently including several countries in Europe, North America, New Zealand and Japan
- Bilingual in Swedish and English